"Neurofeedback should play a major therapeutic role in many difficult areas. In my opinion, if any medication had demonstrated such a wide spectrum of efficacy it would be universally accepted and widely used. It is a field to be taken seriously by all."
Frank H Duffy, MD
Professor and Pediatric Neurologist
Harvard Medical School
Neurocognitive & EEG Biofeedback Results
- Significant increases in IQ levels (15 points), the single best predictor of success in life
- Significant improvement in memory ability (296%) in the LD & ADHD population; Intervention group scored above the norm in memory at end of the program
- Improvements generalize to other cognitive functions
- Significant positive effect on behavior (reduces impulsivity, aggression, inattention and criminal behavior)
- A non-drug, non-invasive, non-medical intervention, no known negative side effects, long-lasting effects – documented up to 10 years
- Reduces/eliminates the need for ADHD medication in 80% of cases
- Addresses the specific underlying physical disorder – known to be the cause of learning problems treatment results in physical changes to the brain – fMRI / qEEG studies
- 40% reduction in the core symptomatology of Autism after 20 sessions
- Much more effective than other common interventions
- Fewer sessions (70-350 sessions for tutoring/Orton method vs 50-80 sessions for Neurocognitive approach)
The Center for Health Psychology has been in existence for over 22 years. We have moved to SC and now call it the Neuroscience Center. It is under the direction of Kirtley Thornton, Ph.D. The Center is a general mental health clinic which addresses common psychological issues such as marital conflicts, child development issues, individual emotional issues and can provide psychodiagnostic testing, Neuropsychological assessments and hypnotherapy for stress, appetite and smoking problems. The Center specializes in Neuropsychology and, in particular, the quantitative EEG and it’s application to traumatic brain injury cases, learning disability, reading disabilities, ADD, ADHD and individual improvement in cognitive functioning (e.g. memory, problem solving).
The information on this web site will introduce the viewer to the qEEG technology and will explain it’s concepts, applications and clinical results. Click here for an introduction into basic qEEG concepts.
The QEEG approach employed at the clinic has peer reviewed research indicating a 300% improvement in auditory memory abilities in a group of 20 memory impaired children, a 334% improvement in reading memory in a group of 7 reading disabled children and a 2.61 standard deviation auditory memory improvement in a group of 19 traumatic brain injured subjects. All these results are a major improvement over all other currently employed methods in these areas. This data has taken over 10 years to collect and reflects the commitment to gather basic scientific evidence to back up the claims.
See the research citations for the specific articles.
Dr. Thornton has published extensively in this area. The articles can be downloaded from this site by clicking here.